What is Tip Plasty?
Tip plasty, also known as nasal tip rhinoplasty or nasal tip refinement, is a surgical procedure that focuses on reshaping and enhancing the appearance of the nasal tip. It is a subset of rhinoplasty, which is a broader term for nose reshaping surgery.
During a tip plasty, the surgeon modifies the cartilage and sometimes the soft tissues of the nasal tip to achieve the desired aesthetic outcome. The procedure can address various concerns, such as a bulbous or rounded tip, a droopy tip, asymmetry, or a tip that is overly projected or under-projected. By carefully sculpting and reshaping the nasal tip, the surgeon can create a more balanced and refined appearance that harmonizes with the rest of the facial features.
The specific techniques used in tip plasty may vary depending on the patient’s individual needs and the surgeon’s approach. These techniques may involve:
- Cartilage Surgery. This technique involves replacing, reshaping, or placing an implant on the patient’s nose. If your case needs an implant, a prosthesis with autoplasty gives the most natural and satisfying result. MINA Plastic Surgery uses septum cartilage or ear cartilage.
- Alar Reduction. A nose with a wide alar may still look flat and have wider nostrils, despite the high nose bridge. This affects the whole shape of the nose. Alar reduction reduces the width of the nose body. At MINA Plastic Surgery, the procedure does not involve operation on the bone or cartilage. The surgery will only be performed on the skin-muscle level.
Good Candidates for Tip Plasty
The procedure aims to correct the tip of their nose to make it more refined and change their overall look. Good candidates for the procedure may include individuals who have the following characteristics
- Long/short nose tip
- Low nose tip
- Blunt nose tip
- Overall nose line
People who have these nose shape concerns may feel the need to change their dull appearance. While others need the correction procedure to address the structural problem of their nose that may have caused nasal obstruction or breathing difficulty.
What to Expect in Tip Plasty
An initial consultation with a cosmetic surgeon is done to discuss your goals, concerns, and expectations. The surgeon will evaluate your nasal structure, discuss the potential outcomes, and determine if you’re a suitable candidate for tip plasty.
If you decide to have the tip plasty in South Korea and with MINA Plastic Surgery, Dr Cha will create a personalized surgical plan based on your specific needs. Pre-operative instructions, such as medication guidelines and dietary restrictions, will also be provided.
During the tip plasty, local anesthesia is given to make you feel at ease during the procedure. The surgeon will make small incisions, often inside the nostrils or in inconspicuous areas, to access the nasal tip. Various techniques may be considered to achieve the desired changes and a refined nasal tip. Once the necessary modifications are made, the incisions will be closed with sutures.
After the procedure, you may be monitored in a recovery area before being discharged home or to a post-operative care facility, depending on the surgeon’s recommendation.
Recovery and Aftercare
You can expect mild to moderate swelling and bruising around the nasal tip and possibly the surrounding areas. Cold compresses and prescribed medications can help manage discomfort and reduce swelling. Swelling may gradually go after 2 to 3 weeks from surgery.
Do not forget to visit for your scheduled follow-up appointments to monitor your healing progress, remove any sutures, and provide further instructions.
You will receive specific instructions on how to clean and care for your nose, which may include gentle cleaning with saline solution and avoiding any trauma or pressure to the area. Do not blow your nose or cough the phlegm out to avoid bleeding.
It’s essential to follow their guidance closely for a successful recovery and optimal results
Why Choose Mina Plastic Surgery for Tip Plasty?
At MINA Plastic Surgery, Dr Cha designs the ideal outcome that suits your overall appearance. An incision is done to separate the periosteum from the nose bridge bone to make room for the implant. Dr Cha implants the carved prosthesis between the bone and periosteum.
- Cartilage Surgery. Cartilage Tie Tip Plasty is a procedure that ties the widespread alar cartilage making the nose tip protrude and sharper. Dr. Cha will examine the size of the cartilage, as well as the range of how much it’s spread out. Depending on the condition of the nose, Dr. Cha will decide if a small trimming or removal of the cartilage will be necessary.
- Cartilage Implant. It may or may not include the tying process, depending on the condition of your nose. If the flat/thick nose is due to the amount of fat on the nose tip, Dr. Cha will remove the fat, then make an implant.
- Cartilage Reposition. A procedure of taking the septum cartilage, and repositioning it on the suited place. MINA Plastic Surgery recommends this to those who have a short, upturned nose innately, or due to a rhinoplasty failure. This may also work for clients who have their nasal septum cartilage or nose bridge sunken, caused by a former accident.
- Alar Reduction – Removal. It involves removing the extra skin of the alar. Dr. Cha makes incisions and removes the part where the scar could be least visible – the lower part of the nostril. Then Dr. Cha sutures back, leaving sufficient space for nostrils to have no problem breathing.
- Alar Reduction – Tie. It reduces the width of the nose by tying the skin between the nostrils and bringing in the skin of the alar. A small incision is made on the inside of each nostril. Dr. Cha links each alar with a string, bringing the linked parts together to make a knot. This won’t affect the original size of the nostrils, and therefore not cause any inconvenience to breathing.
Contact Mina Plastic Surgery for your online consultation appointment. You can call us, email us, or fill out our form.
For patients outside South Korea, we have an English-speaking staff who can accommodate your inquiries about the procedure. Make sure all of your concerns are answered before booking a flight to South Korea. You have to be in South Korea before the scheduled surgery to have pre-operative tests and medical evaluations.
Procedure Cost and Payment
Tip plasty in South Korea range from 2,700,000 KRW to 9,000,000 KRW. (estimated at 2000 USD to 6000 USD). The actual cost may be higher or lower depending on one’s needs. So, it is best to consult with reputable clinics to have accurate and updated pricing information.
We accept payments through cash, credit cards, and bank transfers. We ensure that you understand all the costs and fees involved in the procedure before scheduling your surgery appointment.
Recovery and Aftercare
At Mina Plastic Surgery, we care for your overall health. As recovery varies in each person, we personalize and provide attentive aftercare to our patients to ensure a smooth and successful recovery.
Patients for tip and bridge correction are asked to return after a week for the stitch removal. Our cosmetic surgeon gives detailed instructions on how to care for your eyes post-operative, ensuring the aftercare plan is tailored to your needs.
Feel free to contact us with any concerns during your recovery period.
Frequently Asked Questions
A full rhinoplasty addresses various aspects of the nose, which includes the bridge and septum. Meanwhile, tip plasty focuses on the nasal tip making it a less invasive and complex procedure.
In most cases of tip plasty, the incisions are done inside the nose or in unnoticeable areas resulting in minimal to no visible scarring.
Yes, there are quite a few non-surgical alternatives that can help improve your nasal tip. These options are typically less invasive and use filler, botox, or thread lift. However, it is best to note that the results of non-surgical alternatives may not be suitable for everyone. So, the best thing you can do is to consult our cosmetic surgeon.